Ant and Dec are loving every minute of working on the 13th series of I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here, a production which requires 700 crew working 24 hours a day for three weeks in New South Wales, Australia.
While they enjoy their work, they couldn’t be jungle campmates themselves. “No way would I go on,” says Dec, 38. “I’m not sure I’m confident in the viewing public seeing every side of me and I’m not sure I’m confident enough that I’d allow myself to be that exposed.”
Here are ten facts about the popular TV hosts:
1. For the past 20 years they’ve lived close to each other, having shared the same flat and then lived next door together. Even now, they live in the same road. “In 2006 I got married and Dec bought a house three doors down the road from my new marital home,” said Ant. “He’s basically a stalker, but he’s very good at his job so I’ll keep him on.”
2. Ant always stands on the left and Dec on the right. They call it the 180-degree rule.
3. Ant and Dec met on Children’s BBC series Byker Grove when they were 14. Dec played the part of Duncan and Ant played PJ and his on-screen mother was played by his real mum.
4. They have won Best Entertainment Presenter at the National Television Awards for the past 12 years.
5. Dec is the youngest of seven children of Irish parents who moved to Newcastle in the 1950s. “I grew up being called Eamonn-Martin-Dermott-Declan because I was the youngest of the boys and Mum would go through all their names first before she got to mine,” he has said.
6. When Ant married his make-up artist girlfriend Lisa Armstrong in 2006 at Cliveden in Buckinghamshire he chose Dec to be his best man.
7. Dec is two months older – they are both 38 – and Ant is two inches taller at 5’8″.
8. In Richard Curtis’s 2003 romantic comedy Love Actually, they appear as themselves.
9. They are insured against the other dying. “I’m not sure how much Ant and I are insured against each other,” said Dec. “I’ve heard it’s a couple of million. However much it is, it would never be compensation for losing your best mate.”
10. They host the Bushtucker Trials on I’m A Celebrity… but Ant has a phobia of spiders, while Dec is afraid of birds.