Sophie, Countess of Wessex is the latest royal to have paid a visit to Prince Philip as he recovers from an exploratory operation in hospital.
The fashionista royal arrived in a chic printed dress on Tuesday afternoon at the London Clinic on Harley Street where her father-in-law will remain for around two weeks.
The mum-of-two carried what looked to be a picnic bag, perhaps containing a few of the Duke of Edinburgh”s favourite foods.
The Countess of Wessex”s visit follows the Queen“s on Monday night. The Duke received a special 92nd birthday visit from his wife who arrived with a card addressed to HRH The Duke of Edinburgh.
His recent visits will no doubt have contributed to him being “comfortable and in good spirits.”
“His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh is progressing according to plans at this early stage,” a statement from Buckingham Palace read on Monday.
“He will remain in hospital for up to two weeks, and it is expected he will then be taking a period of convalescence of approximately two months.”
A pair of gun salutes were fired in the Prince”s honour on his birthday in the capital”s Green Park, Edinburgh Castle, the Tower of London, Cardiff Castle and Hillsborough Castle in Northern Ireland.
British Prime Minister David Cameron also sent him birthday wishes via Twitter. “Wishing the Duke of Edinburgh a very happy 92nd birthday as he recovers in hospital today,” the Conservative leader wrote.
His son Prince Edward had gone to see his father earlier in the day. When asked how he was, The Earl of Wessex said, “Well, thank you.”
The Queen”s husband underwent exploratory surgery on his abdomen at the London Clinic on Harley Street on Friday.
The Duke was admitted to hospital for the scheduled procedure last Thursday following his attendance at the Queen”s summer garden party at Buckingham Palace.
After the Duke”s operation on Friday, Buckingham Palace said he was “progressing satisfactorily”.
His admission to hospital came after he missed an engagement a few days previously because he felt “under the weather”.
“He is in very good health ,” a Buckingham Palace spokesperson said. “He felt unwell on Monday and missed an engagement but that was down to the fact he had temporarily lost his voice.”
Last summer, the 91-year-old spent five nights in hospital and missed some of the events for the Queen”s Diamond Jubilee celebrations due to a recurring bladder infection.