The Queen has been admitted to hospital, for the first time in 10 years, after being diagnosed with gastroenteritis. A spokesperson for the royals said the 86-year-old had been taken to King Edward VII Hospital in London, the same hospital that treated the Duchess of Cambridge in December.
All of the monarch”s upcoming engagements, including her trip to Rome with The Duke of Edinburgh, have been cancelled and some will be rescheduled when she is back to full health.
Buckingham Palace said the action is just a precautionary measure as it will be easier for doctors to monitor the Queen”s condition in the London hospital.
On Saturday the Queen cancelled her visit to the Welsh city of Swansea where she was due to present leeks to members of the 3rd Battalion to mark St David”s Day. As the result of her illness the Queen spent the day recuperating at Windsor Castle. While she rested officials decided it was safer for her be in hospital.