Prince Andrew reportedly mistaken for intruder by Buckingham Palace security

Prince Andrew reportedly mistaken for intruder by Buckingham Palace security
Prince Andrew, the Queen‘s second son, was reportedly challenged by armed officers at Buckingham Palace and asked to verify his identity, just two days after an attempted burglary happened at the royal residence.

The Duke of York was said to have been enjoying a walk in the Palace grounds on Wednesday evening when he was mistaken for an intruder by police.

Despite reports by The Sunday Express that the British royal was held at gunpoint and ordered to “put [his] hands up and get on the ground,” the Metropolitan Police released a statement, but did not specifically name Prince Andrew.

“On Wednesday 4 September at approximately 18:00 BST two uniformed officers approached a man in the gardens of Buckingham Palace to verify his identity,” read the statement.

“The man was satisfactorily identified. No weapons were drawn and no force was used.”



According to the newspaper, an internal inquiry has been carried out, although Buckingham Palace has made no comment.

“There is a high turnover of the police on duty at the Palace, but you’d think anyone would know what Prince Andrew looks like,” a royal insider told the The Sunday Express. “It’s fair to say that to describe the Duke as unhappy and the two officers as highly embarrassed is the biggest understatement of the century.”

The incident occurred two days after an attempted burglary at the royal residence. The Queen and Prince Philip were not in the palace at the time, as they are currently on their summer holiday at Balmoral.

Two men, who were thought to be after the Coronation jewels, were arrested for burglary, trespass and criminal damage following the break-in. DJ Victor Miller, 37, was reportedly taken in by police and passed into the care of mental health professionals, while his suspected accomplice was released on bail.


Monday’s incident is the worst breach of security at the Palace since 1982 when unemployed father-of-four Michael Fagan climbed up a drainpipe and broke into the Queen’s bedroom.

The Queen, who was in bed at the time, spent 10 minutes speaking to the intruder before he asked for a cigarette which allowed her to call a footman, who called the police.

Buckingham Palace is monitored by CCTV and surrounded by a wall and a fence, both of which are covered in anti-climb devices.

The building is also permanently guarded by armed officers from the Royal and Diplomatic Protection Unit and further members of security are also present within the Palace itself.

The Sunday Express.