Philip Seymour Hoffman died from a toxic mix of heroin and other drugs, according to the autopsy report released by the New York City medical examiner’s office on Friday.
The 46-year-old actor, who was found dead in the bathroom of his New York apartment on 2 February, passed away as the result of combining acute amounts of heroin, cocaine, amphetamines and psychoactive drugs such as Librium.
A spokeswoman for the New York City medical examiner confirmed that Philip’s drug overdose had been ruled accidental and law enforcement officials added that the father-of- three was found with a needle in his arm and at least 50 empty packets of heroin in his Manhattan apartment.
Philip at the Venice Film Festival in 2012
Investigators are still trying find out where Philip had obtained the drugs from and if anyone was with him at the time of his death.
New York-born Philip, who won the Oscar for Best Actor after his role in 2005 biopic Capote, was found by his close friend David Katz and his personal assistant Isabella Wing-Davey after failing to pick up his three children from partner Mimi O’Donnell.
The actor’s absence caused costume designer Mimi to call David to find out where he was. David and personal assistant Isabella then went to Philip’s apartment where they found his body.
The Hollywood star had previously revealed that he had struggled with drug addiction since his student days and reportedly checked into rehab last May after 23 years of sobriety.