Nigella Lawson has sought advice from a lawyer who handled Sir Paul McCartney, Prince Charles and Madonna‘s divorces, according to reports.
The TV chef is said to have spoken to Fiona Shackleton after her husband Charles Saatchi announced he was divorcing her in a national newspaper.
Baroness Shackleton, who is Nigella’s cousin, is considered to be one of the best in the business. The couple are estimated to be worth £130 million.
“Nigella never wanted it to come to this – but Fiona has been a rock of support and she is glad to have her on her side,” a friend told the Sun newspaper.
“Nigella is soft so she needs someone strong representing her – and they don’t come any tougher than Fiona.
“Charles must be quaking in his boots.”
Known as ‘the doyenne of divorce, Fiona acted for the Prince of Wales in his divorce from Diana and for Madonna when she split from director Guy Ritchie. She is currently the solicitor to Prince William and Prince Harry.
Nigella’s husband of nine years, advertising agency tycoon Charles, released an astonishing open statement in which he expresses his “disappointment” that his wife did not defend his reputation after he was photographed with his hand around her neck.
“I am disappointed that she was advised to make no public comment to explain that I abhor violence of any kind against women, and have never abused her physically in any way,” he told The Mail on Sunday.
Days after his statement was published, Nigella moved from the flat that she had been temporarily living in since her split from Charles into a bigger, and perhaps more permanent home.
Charles’ statement came just weeks after shocking photographs were released of the couple having an argument outside Scott’s restaurant in Mayfair.
In the photographs, Charles, 70, was seen with his hand on Nigella’s throat and nose. The celebrity chef looked visibly upset in the photographs. A source close to Charles was quoted as saying that the photographs were “not what they seem”.
The day after the photographs were released, Charles voluntarily attended Charing Cross police station where he agreed to accept a caution for assault.
“Nigella has given a statement to the police that Charles has never hit her,” said a source.
Charles has their split as “heartbreaking” and Nigella has moved out of the family home with her children Cosima, 19, and Bruno, 17, her children from her previous marriage to journalist John Diamond.
Charles and Nigella married in a low-key ceremony at his Eaton Square home in September 2003. They had both been married before.
Nigella’s previous husband John Diamond died from throat cancer in March 2001.
Charles was married to American advertising executive Doris Lockhart Dibley, from 1973-1990. He was married America Kay Hartenstein from 1990-2001.