A federal judge revealed Thursday that John Edwards is suffering from a life-threatening heart condition, CNN reports.
The former presidential candidate, 58, previously sought a delay in his criminal corruption trial. Last month, his attorneys said he had an unspecified medical issue.
Now, the trial has been delayed until at least March 26 and U.S. District Judge Catherine Eagles said she had letters from cardiologists to verify the politician”s condition.
Edwards, 58, is expected to undergo an unspecified procedure next month.
“The letters from Mr. Edwardss physicians are pretty clear this is a serious condition,” Eagles said, according to the Raleigh News & Observer.
A source close to the family tells us that Edwards wears a 24/7 heart monitor but continues to exercise.
Last year, the troubled politician was charged with illegally using campaign contribitions to cover up an affair. He has pleaded not guilty.
- Cate Edwards"s Wedding Dress: See Photos – Wedding, Cate Edwards, Elizabeth Edwards, John Edwards
- Cate Edwards Wedding – John and Elizabeth Edwards Daughter Marries
- Andy Rooney Hospitalized in Stable Condition
- Tara Palmer-Tomkinson at 40: The original It girl on life, loves and why she"s a kid at heart
- Dr. Conrad Murray — Back to Court to Prove Michael Jackson Partly Caused His Own Death