Before John Edwards admitted to fathering a child with mistress Rielle Hunter, he reached out to Hollywood friends including Sean Penn, Madeleine Stowe and Crash director Paul Haggis, a witness testified Wednesday.
The former presidential candidate, on trial in Greensboro, N.C., on campaign corruption charges, made dozens of revisions to a public statement about the illegitimate child and sent copies to the show business supporters, his former speechwriter Wendy Button told the jury.
No reason was provided for sending around the draft. It also went to other people, Button said.
The final statement was issued in January 2010 in which he said he was the father of then-2-year-old girl named Quinn and revealed that he had been providing support for the child.
“To all those I have disappointed and hurt these words will never be enough, but I am truly sorry,” he said in the statement.
- John Edwards Said He Loved Mistress Rielle Hunter, Witness Says
- John Edwards Called Mistress Rielle Hunter a "Crazy Slut," Says Witness
- Cate Edwards Wedding – John and Elizabeth Edwards Daughter Marries
- John Edwards"s Daughter Cate Leaves Courtroom in Tears
- Cate Edwards"s Wedding Dress: See Photos – Wedding, Cate Edwards, Elizabeth Edwards, John Edwards