Prince Albert II of Monaco celebrates his 56th birthday on 14 March.
The Monegasque royal, who recently cheered on athletes at the Sochi Winter Olympic games, will be celebrating the occasion with family and friends.
To honour Albert’s birthday, ! Online has compiled a list of ten facts about the Prince.
Prince Albert II of Monaco turns 56 on 14 March
1. Albert was born on 14 March 1958 at the Prince’s Palace of Monaco as the only son of Prince Rainer III of Monaco and his wife Princess Grace. Albert has an older sister Princess Caroline and a younger sister Princess Stephanie.
2. Albert is an avid athlete and has competed in five Winter Olympics from 1988 to 2002 as part of Monaco’s national bobsleigh team.
“I think it’s a must. It’s part of the Olympic experience,” he said, when asked if he stays in the traditional Olympic Village. “Those who aren’t staying there are missing an important part of the experience.”
Prince Albert with his father Prince Ranier, mother Princess Grace and sisters Princess Caroline and Princess Stephanie
3. In 1977, Albert enrolled at Amherst College in Massachusetts, USA, where he studied economics, music, English literature and political science.
Ten facts about Princess Charlene of Monaco
4. During the summer of 1979, the Monegasque royal spent time touring Europe and the Middle East with the Amherst Glee Club.
5. In April 2005, Albert’s father Prince Rainer III died and he became the Sovereign Prince of Monaco. Along with his official title, Albert holds over 20 other titles including Duke of Valentinois, Marquis of Baux, Count of Polignac, Sire of Matigon.
Young Albert in 1983
6. On 23 June 2010, it was announced Albert was engaged to South African swimmer Charlene Wittstock after dating for four years. The couple married a year later in July 2011 over a two-day celebration described as Monaco’s “biggest party in 55 years”.
Relive Prince Albert and Princess Charlene’s stunning royal wedding
7. The royal shares his birthday with actors Jamie Bell and Michael Caine and American producer Quincy Jones.
Albert and Charlene in 2008
8. Albert is extremely concerned with environmental issues, advocating alternative energy and hybrid vehicles in Monaco and around the world. In 2008, he was named as one of the United Nations Environment Programme’s “Champions of the Earth.”
9. As the son of Princess Grace, Albert has worked endlessly to continue his mother’s support of the art and is currently the Vice-Chairman of the Princess Grace Foundation, which awards grants and scholarships to emerging talent in theatre, dance and film.
“She left a successful Hollywood acting career to pursue her heart,” the Prince said in 2013. “During her lifetime, she became an international spokesperson for arts and culture.”
Prince Albert and Princess Charlene on their wedding day
10. Prince Albert carries out royal duties across the world and in recent years and has visited the United Kingdom several times, including for the wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge in 2011 and the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic games.
Charlene parks protocol for the Games’ most powerful moment