She was one of a handful of guests when he made it official with David Furnish.
Now Elton John has returned the honour, watching proudly as his friend Sam Taylor-Wood married her actor fiance Aaron Johnson and serenading the newlyweds.
The couple, who have two children together, tied the knot in Somerset on the summer solstice, according to a statement issued on their behalf.
Sam met Aaron, who is 23 years her junior, when she cast him in the John Lennon movie Nowhere Boy, which she directed.
The couple will both take the name Taylor-Johnson.
The bride”s gown was designed by Sarah Burton, creative director of Alexander McQueen, who created the dress worn by the Duchess of Cambridge for her wedding last year.
The groom”s outfit was a bespoke suit by Tom Ford, the designer-turned-film director.
The actor, whose films include Kick Ass, celebrated his 22nd birthday last week.
He and the Turner-shortlisted artist, who is 45, had their first child together, Wylda Rae, in 2010, while their second, Romy Hero, was born in January this year.
Sam has two daughters from her previous marriage to contemporary art dealer and gallery owner Jay Jopling, Anjelica and Jessie, who made a cameo as Lennon”s younger sisters in Nowhere Boy.
- Aaron Johnson Marries Sam Taylor-Wood
- Sam Taylor-Wood and Aaron Johnson welcome another baby girl
- Kristin Davis and Aaron Sorkin Get Kissy for Cameras
- ‘American Idol’ Champ Taylor Hicks — The Show STILL Makes Stars … Just Look at Me!!!
- New England Patriots Star Aaron Hernandez — Flattered By NFL Bounties