Conrad Murray Trial: Police Interview about Michael Jackson Death

Michael Jackson
They were among the final words of Michael Jackson.

“Id like to have some milk,” he told his doctor. “Please, please give me some.”

It wasn”t really milk that the pop star wanted, but an injection through an IV of a powerful anesthetic called propofol, the one substance that Jackson believed gave his body what it desperately craved: sleep.

His personal physician, Dr. Conrad Murray, relayed to detectives details of Jackson”s last hours in a taped police interview played to jurors Friday at the cardiologists involuntary manslaughter trial in Los Angeles.

Murray concedes during the June 27, 2009 interview – two days after the entertainers death at age 50 – that hed been giving Jackson propofol almost every night at Jacksons request, although this time he gave a very small dose of only 25 mg because of other drugs hed also administered.

Murray says that, as Jackson struggled all night to sleep, he urged the pop star to just close his eyes and meditate, but that seemed to work for only a few minutes at a time.

Perhaps because of energy supplements Jackson was taking from another doctor, propofol “was the only thing that worked for him,” Murray says in the recording. “I constantly cautioned him that it was an artificially induced sleep and he needed to go back to a natural pattern of sleep” and eventually “be on your own, with milk and cookies.”

Medical professionals have testified that it is unheard of to administer propofol in somebodys bedroom. It is normally used as an anesthetic during surgery.

Murray also tells the detectives that Jackson insisted it was crucial that he get enough sleep because he was rehearsing for his “This Is It” concert tour that was only days away from starting.

“He complained, he was going to have to cancel the (rehearsal),” Murray says. “It would not satisfy his fans if he wasnt rested well.”

Murray says he stepped away very briefly to go to the bathroom, and when he came back, Jackson had stopped breathing. He says CPR was unsuccessful, so he called 911.

“Im trying to do it the best I can and Im trying to get help,” Murray says.

He says paramedics were unable to revive Jackson, so he had him transferred to UCLA Medical Center, where doctors tried for an hour to revive him.

“I love Mr. Jackson, he was my friend and he opened up to me in different ways and I wanted to help him as much as I can,” Murray tells the detectives. “I was trying to wean him off the propofol.

Defense attorneys say Jackson took a fatal dose of drugs that morning when Murrays back was turned.