While David Beckham has announced his retirement from playing professional football, he is tipped to see his fortune increase even more. The footballer has earned a reported £165million in his 21 years on the field – see details of his earnings below.
David, who is said to earn around £100,000 day, currently fronts campaigns for H&M and Adidas, and has previously enjoyed endorsement deals with Armani, Diet Pepsi, Vodafone and Marks and Spencer. In March this year, he was named the world”s highest paid footballer, beating Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo.
Steve Martin, chief executive of M&C Saatchi Sport and Entertainment, a sporting PR agency, predicts a bright future for David after he leaves the pitch. “He has an appeal that will go on for the next 15 to 20 years,” he said. “He is on a totally different planet to other players in terms of commercial value and long-term ambassadorial roles”.
Nigel Currie, of sports marketing agency Brand Rapport, explained that David will now have more time to spend on his endorsement and ambassadorial roles. ‘He’s unbelievably marketable and I think he’ll become more marketable, he”s got even more time to fulfill these roles.”
There is no stopping the golden boy of football. PR and brand consultant Mark Borkowski insisted “Brand Beckham” shows no signs of slowing down.”Whatever David Beckham chooses to do it”s going to make news,” he said. There”s still gold to be plundered.”
Brand Beckham in the spotlight
• David and his wife Victoria Beckham have a joint wealth of almost £200million
• David donated all of his Paris Saint-Germain salary, thought to be around £2million, to local children”s charities in France
• The ripped superstar has his own underwear collection with fashion house H&M selling trunk briefs at a cool £9.99 a pair
• The Beckham”s Hertfordshire mansion dubbed “Beckingham Palace” is valued at £10million
• In 2007, David joined Los Angeles Galaxy, where he earned £4million a year, making him the highest paid US footballer
• While in LA, he and Victoria bought a lavish £11million Beverly Hills mansion
• David is set to become an ambassador for Sky television, which will see him earn £20million
• David Beckham earns £3.5million a year from his Adidas deal
• His Gillette deal thought to be worth £4.9million
• David joined the famous Got Milk Campaign in 2006, following in the footsteps of previous A-listers such as Madonna, Naomi Campbell and Muhammad Ali, in bearing the white moustache
• David and Victoria launched their own joint range of fragrances for men and women, which was estimated to have been worth around £30milllion
• David has proved to be a perfect model for Armani and has modelled their underwear for a reported £20million